Step 1: Sign up for DeforestACTION.
Step 2: Learn more about the issues and politics of deforestation and palm oil. What are the links between palm oil and deforestation? How does it impact climate change and the loss of animal habitat? What impact does it have on communities? Share what you learn with others around the world.
Step 3: Are you using products that contain palm oil? Look for products that may contain palm oil from around your house, your school or organization, and put everything you find on a table. Check the labels and split it into two groups: things that contain palm oil or products of its kernel and things without. Take a picture and upload it!
Step 4: Which companies are using palm oil products? Share your findings.
Step 5: Take Action!
Hold companies accountable:
- Ask them to label all of their products with palm oil - some products can be labelled as using "vegetable oil" but actually contain palm oil;
- Ask them to use alternative oils from socially and ecologically responsible sources until sustainable palm oil can be guaranteed.
Get your government active:
- Ask them to implement policies to ensure products with palm oil are labelled;
- Ask them to support the Indonesian government in stopping the clearance of rainforests for palm oil plantations.
- Sign-up for Earthwatchers.
- Commit to avoid palm oil.
- Develop a local action project.
- Host DeforestACTION Day at your school
- Register for a DFA online event.
- Sponsor an Orangutan
- Sponsor an Eco-warrior
- Sponsor rainforest land
- More information here